ARC Review: The Society by Jodie Andrefski

10:00

The Society
Series: None
Author: Jodie Andrefski
Published May 3rd 2016 by Entangled Teen

Goodreads Synopsis
Welcome to Trinity Academy’s best-kept secret.

The Society.

You’ve been handpicked by the elite of the elite to become a member. But first you’ll have to prove your worth by making it through Hell Week.

Do you have what it takes?

It’s time to find out.

Samantha Evans knows she’d never get an invite to rush the Society—not after her dad went to jail for insider trading. But after years of relentless bullying at the hands of the Society’s queen bee, Jessica, she’s ready to take down Jessica and the Society one peg at a time from the inside out.

All it’ll take is a bit of computer hacking, a few fake invitations, some eager rushees…and Sam will get her revenge.

Let the games begin.
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

I previously read Andrefski's, The Girlfriend Request, and though I wasn't too keen on it, I felt like giving her another chance when I saw the synopsis of The Society. To me, it seemed similar to one of my favourite series, Night School by C.J. Daugherty, and I hoped I would find something to fill the gap that series has left behind. However, that so wasn't the case. I read about 50% of this book, and pretty much shook my head on every single page, and after nearly three weeks of getting no further, I decided to stop putting off the inevitable, and just DNfed the book.

The Society is a elite group in Trinity Academy, and only the best of the best are chosen to be invited. If you're lucky enough to last through Hell Week, you're set for life - the best picks of college, jobs, you name it; if you fail, you're basically ruined. Samantha has had a tough past year. After her father was arrested and jailed for insider trading, her whole life has changed. Her best friend, Jessica, was instrumental in her father's arrest, and treats Samantha like something she stepped in, so Sam decides to get payback. Jessica is in charge of picking the rushees, so Sam hacks her account and adds a few others, who deserve to be in The Society, but who aren't the 'creme de la creme' that are normally picked.

I enjoyed the whole bit about The Society, but it wasn't great, and was overshadowed by the awful romantic aspect. Sam's best friend, Jeremy, is in love with her, and seemed to be falling into the 'friend-zone' category, especially when the new, mysterious guy, with the cliche motorcycle, turns up one day, and seems to know a lot about Sam and wants to spend time with him. I mean, she's only spoken to him (Ransom) for fewer than a few minutes, and then decides to go to his house, all on her own. Yeah, that's how girls get killed. It was just completely unbelievable, and ridiculous to me, that I was turned off from any redeeming qualities the book may or may not have had, and just had to put it down.

After this being the second disappointing book of Andrefski's I've read, I don't think I'll read anything from her in the future. Definitely a no from me for The Society.

Dates Read:
April 23-May 9, 2016

Rating
0 Stars/ Did Not Finish 

You Might Also Like

0 comments