ARC Review: Bookishly Ever After (Ever After #1) by Isabel Bandeira

10:00

Bookishly Ever After
Series: Ever After #1
Author: Isabel Bandeira
Published January 12th 2016 by Spencer Hill Contemporary

Goodreads Synopsis
In a perfect world, sixteen-year-old Phoebe Martins’ life would be a book. Preferably a YA novel with magic and a hot paranormal love interest. Unfortunately, her life probably wouldn't even qualify for a quiet contemporary. But when Phoebe finds out that Dev, the hottest guy in the clarinet section, might actually have a crush on her, she turns to her favorite books for advice. Phoebe overhauls her personality to become as awesome as her favorite heroines and win Dev's heart. But if her plan fails, can she go back to her happy world of fictional boys after falling for the real thing?
Goodreads

Review
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

This book was sheer perfection! Honestly, I think I should apologise now, in advance, for how rambly this review is likely to be. Bookishly Ever After is about a nerdy, book lover, called Phoebe, who always has her head in a book. She doesn't really care much for gossip and other high school activities, but hand her the newest YA best-seller, and she is sorted. She's also a prolific knitter, and amazing archer. When her best friend tries to convince her that Dev, a guy in the school band with her, actually has a crush on her, Phoebe immediately doesn't believe it. She starts using her bookish knowledge to construct a plan of action. One that, understandably, doesn't go to plan.

Phoebe was amazing! She's someone I could see myself in. I'm not a knitter, but I do cross stitch, and have no problem admitting that I'm a bit of a loner, and prefer the company of a book over people, most days. I loved Phoebe's quirkiness, and how much she wasn't ashamed to admit she wasn't like most teenagers, but that was okay. She knew who she was, and she wasn't ashamed of it; she just wished that she knew a bit more about flirting, and then everything would be alright.

Her love interest, Dev, was just the type of guy she needed. He himself was a different, and was in the school band, and a theatre geek. His love of Bollywood dancing was a running joke between them, as was his over confidence in himself. Though he was never arrogant, like some other characters we, he was just a self-deprecating person, which endeared him more to me. The romance between Phoebe and Dev was the type of slow burning angst that all the best books are full of, and it just racked up the tension to a whole other level.

What made the book extra special was the little excerpts from Phoebe's favourite books. I fell in love with them too, and am somewhat gutted that they don't actually exist in real life. Hidden seemed the most intriguing, as I don't believe I've ever read anything like that. Golden had a very The Falconer vibe about it, but with Leprechauns instead of Faeries. If these books were available in real life, I would jump at the chance to read them!

Considering this was Bandeira's debut novel, I'm in awe at her writing! I can't wait to read more from her. I've seen this book is the first in a series, though I'm not sure whether it's an actual series, or more of a companion series. I'm hoping for the first. If you haven't been able to tell, this book was fantastic, and I can not recommend it enough, especially for book lovers. Bandeira is definitely an author to look out for!

Dates Read:
January 4-5, 2016

Rating

5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments