Review: Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1) by Leigh Bardugo

10:00

Six of Crows
Series: Six of Crows #1
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Published September 29th 2015 by Indigo

Goodreads Synopsis
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums. 
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. 

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
Goodreads

Review
Be warned, there may be spoilers!

I read this a few weeks ago, so bear with me. I pre-ordered this book, and recieved it on released day. Still, you'll notice that it took be a month to start it, and I met Leigh in the mean time :0. Really, I have no excuse, other than the fact that I was sort of scared that it wouldn't live up to my expectations, if you know what I mean. I wasn't a big fan of the original trilogy - someone, *cough*Alina*cough*, really annoyed me. Luckily, Six of Crows had a wonderful cast, all of whom I adored in there own ways.

I know this was originally sort of Ocean's Eleven-y, and even though Leigh said at the even that most people my age never saw those films, I adored them when I was younger. And the book definitely had that sort of vibe about it. The start of the plot was kinda slow, but once we got over the introductions, the action ramped up to a 10. We have a cast of 6 main characters: Kaz, Inej, Nina, Matthias, Jesper, and Wylan.

My favourites, by far, were the girls - Nina and Inej.
Nina, the grisha of the group, has had to deal with being careful with her powers, lest she be persecuted for them, and trying to get Matthias out of prison - after she put him there.
Inej, god, I felt for her so much! She was basically kidnapped and sold as a sex slave to an 'exotic' brothel in Ketterdam, and suffered there for a year. Still, she never let it affect her, and was the strongest character, by far.

Out of the guys, if I had to rate them, it would be: Matthias, Wylan, Jesper, and then Kaz (please don't hate me!) I know basically everyone loved Kaz, and I did, to an extent. There was just something there that sort of terrified me, and I'm still wary. Matthias was a grumpy, broody, SoB, but a loveable one too. Wylan and Jesper were lovely characters, but I don't think we really heard enough about them - especially Wylan, I need a PoV of his in Crooked Kingdom.

The romance in Six of Crows was a whirlwind. Each of the six characters were sorted into their own ship, and I don't think it's a spoiler anymore which was which - but you have been warned. So the ships were: Kaz/Inej, Nina/Matthias, and a really minor Wylan/Jesper. No matter my reservations about Kaz, he cared about Inej, so freaking much! Nina and Matthias was the perfect slow burn, with bad memories and a tad of sexual tension. I need more of these ships in Crooked Kingdom, and will likely cry if they sink!

The ending, was a killer. Be warned, if you haven't read this yet, that you will be screaming by the end. One part I sort of saw coming a mile away, but it still really effected me when it happened. It has definitely set up the action for the finale, and I can't wait to see how this is achieved! Honestly, Leigh's characters have just jumped leaps and bounds compared to original series, and if, like me, you weren't too happy with The Grisha Trilogy, I would urge you to try this!

Dates Read:
October 30-1 November, 2015

Rating
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I want to read your review, but spoilers! *skips over to see rating* 5 stars, now I feel reassured about this book. XD

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I tried to make sure I warned about spoilers - they're just the worst, aren't they? I hope you enjoy the book, though, when you read it :)

      Sophie @ Sophie Reads YA

      Delete