Review: The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight #1) by Melissa Grey

10:00

The Girl at Midnight
Series: The Girl at Midnight #1
Author: Melissa Grey
Published April 28th 2015 by ATOM

Goodreads Synopsis
Beneath the streets of New York City live the Avicen, an ancient race of people with feathers for hair and magic running through their veins. Age-old enchantments keep them hidden from humans. All but one. Echo is a runaway pickpocket who survives by selling stolen treasures on the black market, and the Avicen are the only family she's ever known.

Echo is clever and daring, and at times she can be brash, but above all else she's fiercely loyal. So when a centuries-old war crests on the borders of her home, she decides it's time to act.


Legend has it that there is a way to end the conflict once and for all: find the Firebird, a mythical entity believed to possess power the likes of which the world has never seen. It will be no easy task, but if life as a thief has taught Echo anything, it's how to hunt down what she wants . . . and how to take it.


But some jobs aren't as straightforward as they seem. And this one might just set the world on fire.

Goodreads

Review
This book was absolutely perfect, well deserving of one of my most anticipated 2015 books!

In The Girl at Midnight, we follow the story of Echo, a teenage, human girl, living in the Avicen world. Echo, a thief, very gifted at her 'job', is sent on a sort of scavenger hunt in order to find the legendary Firebird, a mythical entity which is crucial in stopping the long war between the Avicen and the Drakharin. Throughout her journey she meets new people, some of which are enemy Drakharin's, and discovers more about herself than she ever thought possible.

I know that this book has been slated to entertain fans of The Mortal Instruments, The Grisha Series, and the Daughter of Smoke & Bone series, but I never really saw that many similarities between this book, and those others (thank god, considering how much I disliked the DoSaB series). I felt like The Girl at Midnight was the perfect fantasy series starter, and I was hooked from page 1. As said earlier, this was one of my most anticipated 2015 books (I actually won a giveaway for it way back in July), and I'm so glad I waited for it. As you may have been able to tell, YA Fantasy is one of my go-to genres, and this series is definitely up there with the greats on my favourites lists.

Echo, I thought, was a wonderful character - strong, feisty, and a little vulnerable at times - and the character development she underwent throughout the entire book blew me away. I can't wait to she how she grows further in subsequent instalments. With regards to the romance, I was not a fan of Rowan, at all, and definitely preferred Caius as Echo's love interest. However, we were also treated with another romantic couple (love-triangle, maybe), one which I was just as invested in.

I definitely felt as if this book was a beautifully written, and executed, story, and as soon as The Shadow Hour is available to pre-order, it will be right at the top of my wishlist. Anyone who has not yet read this book, I would definitely encourage them to, as I'm sure, if they enjoy fantasy, at least, this it will be one of their favourites, too.

Dates Read:
May 4-5, 2015

Rating
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments