Review: My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend by Eleanor Wood

10:00

My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend
Series: None
Author: Eleanor Wood
Published June 4th 2015 by Macmillan Children's Books

Goodreads Synopsis
Geeky girl meets famous boy . . . what could go wrong?
Tuesday Cooper is happy being normal -doing her a-levels and indulging in her twin obsessions: buying weird vintage clothes in charity shops and writing her beloved music blog (which nobody ever reads). Her love for music started when she was thirteen and had a massive crush on Jackson Griffith, teen rock god and SUPER HOT LOVE OF HER LIFE. Now Tuesday's eighteen and has moved on to fancying boys in real life and Jackson went off the celebrity radar years ago.
So it can't be him that's messaging her on her blog, can it?
From one girl's computer to the pyramid stage at Glastonbury Festival, this is a love story for anyone who has ever wished that someone would sing a love song just for them.
Dreams can come true . . .
Goodreads

Review
I received a copy of this book for review from the published via Maximum Pop. This in no way impacted on my view.

I'd seen this book mentioned a lot on twitter, and was very intrigued. When I was offered the chance to review it for Maximum Pop, I couldn't wait to read it. My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend follows Tuesday (yes, that's her real name) Cooper, an 18 year old student whose life revolves around her music blog, her A-Levels, and her weird obsession with vintage and wacky clothes. She spends most of her time with her best friend, Nishi, Nishi's girlfriend, Anna, and her boyfriend, Seymour. Through her blog, she unexpectedly comes into contact with her idol, Jackson Griffith. From this point on, her life completely changes.

I really liked Tuesday - she had a sort of self-deprecating personality that you just had to enjoy. She knew she was wacky and weird, but she didn't let that get in the way of what she wanted - to pass her A-Levels, go to university, and write. Her blog, which she knew wasn't perfect, was a means of expressing herself - albeit to a small audience -  and practise her writing in a way that was informal, and not judged. She was very dedicated to everything she did, and I think that was great, as a lot of YA these days shows people shirking from their responsibilities.

I did have some slight problems with the people she hung out with though. Nishi had been her best friend since they started school, but she basically treated Tuesday like crap at times, just walking all over her and not supporting her when she needed it. Seymour was pretty much the same. Tuesday and Seymour were from two different backgrounds, and the way that Seymour's family, particularly his mother, treated Tuesday was deplorable. He never stood up for her, and only really argued with his mam when it was something he wanted. Quite frankly, Seymour was the wrong choice entirely for Tuesday, and I'm not really sure how they got together in the first place. It's not surprising Tuesday had such a connection with Jackson as she did. The only saving grace in Tuesday's friend group was Anna. Anna believed Tuesday when she said Jackson was real, and helped her to get to Glastonbury - even going with her so she wasn't alone. I'm really glad Tuesday had Anna to call a friend.

Jackson and Tuesday's relationship was also not without its own problems. They were really sweet, on paper. The messages they sent each other were really cute, and I enjoyed reading them. I also liked their meetings in London, where they could be themselves and not have to worry about anything or anyone else. However, when they met up at Glastonbury, everything fell apart. Jackson, who we already knew had drug and alcohol problems, went off the rails, and jeopardised Tuesday's future. She changed from someone focused on her school work, to someone thrust into the public sphere, receiving death threats left, right, and centre because she was linked with a celebrity.
She also lied, a lot. No matter how much I may have disliked Seymour, the fact that she was still in a relationship with him when everything was happening with Jackson really annoyed me. If she had just dumped him beforehand, I'd have no problem with it all.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read - I mean, I read it in less than a day. Yes, there were issues, but not issues that caused me to put the book down. Rather, I wanted to see how the issues were resolved, and ultimately wanted to see how everything panned out. I think my favourite part of the whole book was the last 20 or so pages, when everything was resolved, and we could see how the future would work for the whole gang. I'd definitely recommend the book for British teenagers today, as the mix of reality and fantasy was wonderful, and it still had important messages about the consequences of shirking responsibilities, and how much impact education can have on your life.

Dates Read:
July 1st, 2015

Rating:
3 Stars

You Might Also Like

0 comments