Review: Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin #3) by Robin LaFevers

10:00

Mortal Heart
Series: His Fair Assassin #3
Author: Robin LaFevers
Published November 6th 2014 by Andersen

Goodreads Synopsis
Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.
She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has.
Goodreads

Review
As the third book in the 'His Fair Assassin' trilogy I was expecting great things from this instalment, and I wasn't disappointed. I actually believe this may be my favourite of all three, though that could be due to the fact I love all the characters shown throughout the series, and was pleased to see more of them.

This book surrounds the character Annith, whom we met in book 1 (Grave Mercy) though knew very little about. We see Annith discover the truth of her birth and heritage and her growth as a character to be admired by all. I personally thought when I started reading that I wouldn't like it as much as earlier instalments due to the lack of history, but I think that is a great thing about LaFevers' writing, to make me love a character I had previously been indifferent to.

The romance was phenomenal, and the chemistry between Annith and Balthazaar excelled even that of Ismae/Duval or Sybella/Beast. Towards the end of the book I was definitely rooting for these two to be together.

I honestly think that this series may be my favourite YA Historical fiction. The 15th and 16th centuries have always been the most interesting for me, and to learn more about the Breton court appealed to be on as a history student. I just hope that Robin LaFevers chooses to write more novels like this, around the same time period, in the future.

Dates Read:
February 1 to 2, 2015

Rating:
5 Stars  

You Might Also Like

0 comments